Date:8/22/26-8/23/26
Destination: Sandusky, OH
Goal: Cedar Point
Distance: 156 Miles
Means of Travel: Driving
Potential Credits: 0
![]() |
| IMAGE DESCRIPTION: A yellow roller coaster train navigates an overbank of blue steel track on white supports, with a red tilt coaster tipping forward in the background. |
“It’s my favorite place in the world,” I tell people. In 2011, some dumb high school junior from Dayton who was on a roller coaster hyper fixation for the fourth time in his life, received a card on his 17th birthday. Opening it up to hear it burp the birthday song, inside was one sentence that would change my life: “Good for one visit to Cedar Point.” And that trip with my dad, sibling, and vomiting buddy Drew became a day that would live in infamy as I went back almost every year since. I’ve seen the place grow and change as I’ve grown and changed, it was an escape from the stress of engineering school. I was there when Steel Vengeance was announced, I rode it on its charity night, RMC Connection did media day for The Boardwalk, I even had my 21st birthday at CoasterMania and maybe three annoying thoosies showed up because I wasn’t one of the cool kids yet. That isolated stretch of lake peninsula near historic Sandusky, with its colorful twisting steel tracks and sandy Great Lakes shoreline is my favorite place in the world. And today would be my last time visiting this place as an enthusiast’s home park.
![]() |
| IMAGE DESCRIPTION: Two college aged boys in an onride photo of Millennium Force. |
And 15 years later, Drew is accompanying me again. Just as he did the first time when I went with family.
![]() |
| IMAGE DESCRIPTION: A knoll off to the left of the highway has a sign reading "ARMSTRONG AIR & SPACE CENTER" under a cement retaining wall and sphere. |
Drew got off work Saturday at 4, leaving us to head up around 5:30. On the way up, you pass iconic Ohio landmarks rich in culture like the Armstrong Air and Space Museum, Adult Videos store where truckers are welcome, and a barn with a big purple fetus painted on it.
The drive on the causeway is iconic, but at sunset it’s a whole new level.
Good evening, Cedar Point!
In 2013, a time I spent a lot of time here with my cousin, someone on the old Rollercoaster Tycoon forums was doing a speculative project in which Corkscrew had been removed and Dragster had been extended into its plot. And I remember in his storytelling, he put the Google Glass GUI over the game screenshots to show it was in the future. Much further in the future, I was living this. Today, I was living this reality. While Corkscrew was still around, Dragster had been extended into its current form. And for the first time ever, I had Meta glasses.
![]() |
| IMAGE DESCRIPTION: Jarrett wears a green, yellow, and purple tie dye shirt and sunglasses with an Energylandia buff on his head with Steel Vengeance at night in the background. |
Plan was to head back to Steve, snap a POV at night, and head back to the hotel.
First time ever filming a POV with these things, and man was it a wild experience! LensCrafters was chill enough to install a heat fit strap that was very secure, but still, that’s quite an intense ride to casually wear $300 of wearable electronics and trust it’ll be safe! Also took a bit of getting the hang of knowing when it’s recording and the like.
I had 10 minutes left, and wanted to get back in line for Steve, but it was down. So we went to Maverick…and learned that not only was it down, but it was due to an approaching storm. We hoofed it to the front of the park as the wind picked up, seagulls fleeing in the breeze before us. Knowing we wouldn’t make it to the car, we took shelter in Hugo’s just as the sky opened and drenched the Point.
Hugo’s is one of the better places here, especially if you like Detroit pizza. The crispy square pillows of toppings are probably the best pizza at any park. Shoutout to the hardworking staff keeping it open past close for storm refugees! We waited it out and enjoyed a walk to a car in total nighttime calm, before heading to Avalon Inn.
Next morning, we started the day off with beautiful GateKeeper, the first ride added to the park since I started going and served a role as "the new one" to me for some time. I was so excited when they announced this beautiful B&M wing coaster after riding Wild Eagle, featuring an inversion I'd built in RCT since childhood, an amazing lakeside location, and of course, those insanely cool keyholes over the entrance. While it's fallen far from my top ten, I still have a soft spot for it and hit it every time.
![]() |
| IMAGE DESCRIPTION: A vintage archway with a mouse holding cheese reads "WILD MOUSE" in letters on colorful blocks. |
Drew decided to sit our next ride out, so I elected to snap a quick Mouse POV while we were over there, filming on this coaster uniquely for the second time after having the honor of doing Media Day on The Boardwalk in 2023 and filming for RMC Connection. While its spinning is now more controlled than it was that legendary day, you'll still get a pretty good ride out of it.
![]() |
| IMAGE DESCRIPTION: A rusty metal gazebo overgrown with vines has a "HAUNTING OF ERIE ESTATE" sign over its entrance. |
They were setting up for Halloweekends, including that amazing Erie Estate haunt I love that's actually haunted. Something tapped my shoulder in this maze last year but nobody was there, I swear!
![]() |
| IMAGE DESCRIPTION: A blue roller coaster train spirals down a vertical twisting drop of red and white track. |
Time for my #1, if anyone remembers last season's negative initial take on this ride that got me badly flamed online for daring to bad mouth the King of Cedar Point. While I stand by my claim that Top Thrill 2 was an ignorant shitshow from an engineering standpoint, I get the less educated do enjoy the ride on a shallower level, a level I can sink to the way I enjoy Chinese Takeout or an Adam Sandler film.
This was the most nervewracking POV I filmed all day, as you've just taken a $300 investment 426 feet in the air at over 120 mph hoping the little strap on the stems holds it to your head. The Energylandia buff I was using to hold the strap in place about blew off despite holding it with my hand and wrapping it tightly around the straps.
This single video has since broken the internet and the comments are gloriously stupid, highly recommend a scroll through if you need a laugh.
![]() |
| IMAGE DESCRIPTION: Top Thrill 2 crests its towering top hat of red and white track with a white and red scaffold tower and blue corkscrew track in the foreground. |
Another note about Dragster so y'all can threaten my family again for old time's sake: it sucks in the front now with that pathetic acceleration. OG Dragster was a front row ride, now with the extra speed, you wanna ride Top Thrill 2 in the back for that glorious pop of ejector over the top!
![]() |
| IMAGE DESCRIPTION: A plate of rice, a roll, and some fish with a pink cocktail on a table overlooking the lake. |
We then got food at Grand Pavilion with a gorgeous lake view, featuring their rice and beer battered fish. So good! I was irresponsible and snagged a cocktail as well, courtesy of their bartenders who are always chill.
Our next ride was the whole reason I wanted to come back: their newest ride from last year that I only got to ride once. Siren's Curse is an incredible piece of engineering, to contrast Top Thrill 2's year long mechanical delay. Great ride system, insanely cool trick with the tilt track, the main layout is every bit as good as the gimmick that calls riders in, and the onboard audio is a certified banger. Because they were still figuring things out mechanically, it operated sporadically last fall, so I wanted to ride it a few more times.
Took a more vocal, reactive POV of the front row to capture just how scary this really is. We rode in the back last time, but up front this time, and they’re totally different experiences. Up here, it’s all about the tilt, wherein the back, you get a better ride.
After Drew epically lost his lunch in the station, I was asked “wanna ride again?” So I hopped into the empty seat and took it! We got another fun POV with this woman and her family in the middle of the train, featuring a cool look at the tilt mechanism’s fulcrum.
![]() |
| IMAGE DESCRIPTION: A red roller coaster sends a black and green train down a vertical drop from its tilt mechanism into a dive. |
Siren’s Curse may not have been intended to live at Cedar Point, but man is it a master class addition. It looks good where it sits, people stop to gawk up at it every time it tilts forward, and it’s the second best ride here if you ask me. It’s an absolute grand slam for the park, and I hope to see more like it.
Magnum was next in the pecking order, so we headed around and I took a lap in the coaster’s famous vomit seat. My first few years coming here, this wasn’t a coaster I liked, but after discovering this row in 2015 it has consistently been a top 5 in the park for me. You’ve got what’s basically a mine train car with a simple U-bar handling borderline RMC airtime and it’s completely ridiculous, I love this thing. Also the most innovative coaster ever built, if you ask me.
Since it was there, I swung by Gemini for a quick lap, which got kind of fun when I saw they had sent an empty train to race us! I was in the front row of the red side’s back car so I could see a train full of riders racing one that was completely empty, it was an odd experience. Gonna be a boring game of Money Train!
We rode this on that fateful 2011 visit here, when Drew famously and epically cropdusted on the catwalks, hanging his head out the train and burping up a trail of puddles as the train traversed the layout. But more importantly, I was here at a coaster club event (yes, I cringe at my involvement as well) in 2015 when some random gay kid invited a bunch of us to play some game he was calling Money Train, so I went with him. There, we added each other on Facebook, and I learned of some poor souls banned from TPR by Robb Alvey for liking Papa John’s Pizza. This rando would then blow up my DMs while I was at Kennywood a few weeks later to make sure I sat in the back, a total bro move. Ben would go on to become one of my closest friends ever, and one of the few I would retain from this dark chapter of my life, the dude is great and we may not be friends had it not been for that dubious Money Train game.
Next up? The content I had wanted to make the most! A front row POV of legendary Steel Vengeance was on my work order!
![]() |
| IMAGE DESCRIPTION: A tall wood supported steel roller coaster does a rise up to a turn around a tall lift hill. |
This coaster probably has the most memories of mine, going all the way back to the final, trimless, sprinkling night ride I got on Mean Streak. Watching the structure transform, the famed Frontiertown Hootenanny at which it was announced, riding it on charity night, even its creation was two years’ worth of lore to me. And since then, I’ve seen many a running of the bulls, many a child cry on this coaster, and enjoyed enough blissful 29 second ejector rides to have spent several minutes off my butt. My favorite coaster here, and while it’s already getting eclipsed technologically, it will always be one of the greatest coasters ever built.
![]() |
| IMAGE DESCRIPTION: A gunmetal-colored coaster train flies around an outer banked hill on wood supports. |
Largely responsible for kicking off the war on loose articles industry-wide, and adapting with those amazing double sided lockers that have swept the industry by storm, the idea I may one day film on this ride was unheard of. And having once taken a iPhone 6+ to the face on Diamondback, I’ve always supported these policies. I remember waiting 2.5 hours without phones to ride this with other RMC Conn guests at Halloweekends 2018, during which we got so bored we started saying disgusting words such as “moist” and “dongle” to torment one another for sick entertainment. Hand stamps, plastic zipper pouches, TSA agents, they went through it all in the war on phones. But in this futuristic day and age of wearable electronics, I could safely film on this and that’s really cool.
We broke it! As we hopped over those brutal final bunny hops, we slammed into the brakes, and a gentlemen approached us on the catwalks and told us it would be a minute.
Fuck. I had to pee.
![]() |
| IMAGE DESCRIPTION: A pie pan lined with tissue paper holds sliced steak, a biscuit, and a bowl of chicken and dumplings. |
After exiting the ride and relieving myself, we went to my other favorite restaurant in the park: Farmhouse! Drew had gone here before I did when they opened it, and on that awful 2022 birthday trip when I discovered my DSLR stolen, him dragging me to Farmhouse was the best part of my 28th birthday and saved the occasion. The steak here is so good! While it was beyond well done and looked more “congratulations” at Grand Pavilion, here it was nice and rare. Shame to see they got rid of the chili, but the chicken and dumplings I got instead were also great.
![]() |
| IMAGE DESCRIPTION: A silver coaster train with a cowcatcher and Maverick logo on the zero car swoops around a turn of red track. |
Maverick! While I love this ride, I can never quite make up my mind exactly how much I love it, and while I do sometimes like it better than my first favorite ride here, it’s never been my favorite in the park. Such a cool coaster, though, and a great LSM lift concept I’m surprised we haven’t seen since. “I bet nobody will want to ride Maverick as it isn’t very tall,” I remember my father said as we approached a 1 hour queue.
![]() |
| IMAGE DESCRIPTION: A red roller coaster dives down a short lift hill's beyond vertical drop over a twist of track. |
I remember my buddy John and I were here in 2016 and applied to be in a photo shoot the next day that was asscrack of dawn early, to which I borderline dragged him. Morning shoot on Iron Dragon with empty VR headsets was interesting as we were basically blindfolded, but later that day we got to shoot on Maverick. And that entailed just staying seated and going back around over and over again, it was pretty epic. We’d turned our loud thoosie shirts inside out for the shoot, mine a purple Hydra: The Revenge, but John’s unfortunate choice of a neon green Fury shirt got him deliberately placed away from the camera!
![]() |
| IMAGE DESCRIPTION: Four men and a woman sit in a bronze coaster car with orange seats and restraints. |
And here’s another crazy memory, happening in real time! For those who do not know, I am face blind, and struggle to recognize people as a result. I’m waiting on the platform when this crazy blonde woman is excitedly waving to me, who the hell is this? “Do I know you?” I asked. “My name is Jess!” She replied. And I did know her! We’re friends on social media and met at ArieForce One Media Day, in the time between last time and this time we saw each other, a whole coaster opened and closed. But it was great seeing her and her friends!
I love this ride, but like I said, the layout is weird to me. Best parts are after the drop and the whole finale after the launch, but I don’t think it feels paced consistently. The stuff that is paced well feels great, but I feel it relaxes and breathes too much in the turns. However, unlike Pantherian which has the same problem, the layout is good and varied with blitz sections, snappy inversions, airtime, and an awesome launch.
It was time to walk to our last ride, and one that holds legendary status to both of us. Drew’s first #1, a former #1 of mine, and a ride so great he spent the whole drive home not shutting up about it except to puke out the window. And while the enthusiast culture that surrounds this ride has come to grind my gears in recent years, I do still like it despite its days of being best in the world behind us.
“Millennium Force was the best!” Drew said for the millionth time.
I have always struggled to fit this ride, even at my smallest, and I know others who have had the same issue. Honestly, I’ve never been a fan of Intamin’s old school T-bar design, I feel like a ridiculously short belt isn’t a good replacement for a minimum point, especially with all the variance they can have. As iconic as the red blue and yellow trains are, new rolling stock would do this wonders!
Shoutout to the ride op who got my belt to click, we’re rolling! While there are some nice sustained floatery ejector moments around the layout up here, I honestly have come to enjoy this ride for the sheer speed of it. The pacing is ‘lax, but your surroundings do a great job of letting you know you’re booking it at 90 mph. It goes through stuff, rather than over a flat field.
![]() |
| IMAGE DESCRIPTION: A tall giga coaster with blue track and silver scaffold supports has a blue train ascend. |
As special as this coaster is to me, I hate the culture that surrounds it. It is not the best roller coaster in the world 26 years later, and this "best in the world" phenomenon is a tradition, not a valid opinion. Beast and Millennium Force were arguably the best in the world when they did open, but I feel the community latched onto that and couldn't bear to let go as they were eclipsed by the progression of technology. New enthusiasts think it's the best in the world because older enthusiasts think it's the best in the world, and they want to fit in. If this coaster is someone's #1, it's their #1 because they want to belong and scream "aWwW yEeEaAaHh" at night like a friggin idiot.
So publicly? I bash this ride because I refuse to be one of their kind. But I'll gladly get on and have a hell of a time, enjoying it the reasonable and appropriate amount it deserves.
We headed out after, swinging by Pagoda to snag a few souvenirs, when I noticed Ben’s beloved Blue Streak without a line. So I had to jump on and film a POV for him! Ending my time with Cedar Point as a home park on the park’s oldest coaster.
IMAGE DESCRIPTION: On left, two high school aged men pose for a photo with a blue sign reading "MILLENNIUM FORCE." On right, the same two men, now in their thirties, recreate the photo on the left.
Well, Cedar Point, it’s been real! Here I went from a loser high school deadbeat, to a college kid tangled up in the most unbelievably dumb drama, to the closest to a functioning adult you’re gonna see me get. Special thanks to Ralphie over here for doing this for the first and last time with me, this park is so much more fun with company, you rock and please keep coming here even if I can’t, you may even get a Crash Bandicoot game out of it!
It is, after all, my favorite place in the world.




























No comments:
Post a Comment
Share your thoughts!